It's starting to become a Boxing day tradition around here that I make Veggie and Ham soup with the left over ham from Christmas dinner. It's really easy to make and will use up a lot of whats left over in your fridge.
2. (Optional) add brown rice, or barley, or lentils. With the addition of rice and barley, the longer the soup sits, the more they will expand and thicken the soup. So be careful and dont add too much at the outset
3. Add herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, paprika, etc
4. Add ham (and ham bone if available)
5. Cover with water (or bouillon, broth, stock) and bring to a boil
6. Turn down heat and let simmer for an hour or two
7. About 30 mins before serving add kale or other hearty greens like beet tops, swiss chard. This year, I didnt have any of these and decided to add beets cuz I found some in the fridge! Turned out ok but made the soup a little too sweet
8. Add salt and pepper to taste
Join me as I celebrate life through travel, food and photography.
I will only send out newsletters once a month or so. I promise not to spam